Teacher Day, historically the first day of our four-day Festival, is designed especially for educators like you, who want to rejuvenate your love for poetry, discover new voices, reconnect with special poems, share your work at open readings, see old friends, and receive a free Teachers Kit filled with poems and activities to bring back to your school.
This year, due to the ongoing unpredictability of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 Dodge Poetry Festival will be entirely virtual.
Live streaming of the Festival will be free for all; on-demand access to the Festival videos will be free for pre-registered teachers.
Now that we are moving to an online format, special programming for teachers and students no longer has to be limited by the time constrictions of a "Teacher Day" or "Student Day." Those offerings can be scheduled for when they are most practical for the largest number of students and teachers.
While we are still in the beginning phases of designing the virtual Festival, we know there will be individual and group poetry readings and performances, panel talk and discussions among several poets, Q&A with poets, open mic opportunities and more.
The Benefits of Teacher Day
Revitalize your creativity and love of lifelong learning
Receive Professional Development Hours for your participation
- Address the requirements of New Jersey Department of Education Professional Standards for Teachers
- Receive the free Festival Teachers Kit, which includes Festival Poet poems, bios, quotes and reading lists on easy-to-reproduce poet pages and teaching ideas for classroom use
- Hear directly from poets about their writing process and their creative lives
- Connect with poets representing various schools of poetry, cultures and points of view
- Discover contemporary poetry you can bring back to your classroom
If you would like to register yourself for special programming for teachers at the 2020 Festival, fill out the registration form here.
We will keep you posted about program updates and let you know more details as soon as we have them!
Questions? Contact us at teacherday(at)grdodge(dot)org or (973) 695-1190.