For the fifth time, the largest poetry event in North America comes to New Jersey’s largest city when the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival return to Newark from Thursday October 18th through Sunday October 21, 2018. For four days Newark’s vibrant downtown Arts District will be transformed into a poetry village featuring some of our most celebrated, diverse and vibrant poets and spoken word artists.
Here are some of the confirmed poets at this time:
Elizabeth Alexander* | Francisco Aragón | Renée Ashley
Ellen Bass* | Jan Beatty | William Brewer | Jericho Brown | Tina Chang
Cortney Lamar Charleston | Marilyn Chin* | Sandra Cisneros
Henri Cole | Aaron Coleman | Kwame Dawes* | William Evans
Naomi Extra | Forrest Gander* | Maria Mazziotti Gillan
Rigoberto González | Linda Gregerson* | Terrance Hayes*
Juan Felipe Herrera | Brenda Hillman* | David Hinton
Nicole Homer | Marie Howe* | Rob Hylton | Joy Ladin
Joseph O. Legaspi | Raymond Luczak | Khaled Mattawa
Peter E. Murphy | Eileen Myles | Marilyn Nelson*
Aimee Nezhukumatathil | Hieu Minh Nguyen | Sharon Olds
Gregory Orr | Alicia Ostriker* | Gregory Pardlo | Kevin Pilkington
Khadijah Queen | Nancy Reddy | Alberto Ríos* | Mary Ruefle
Christine Salvatore | Sapphire | Nicole Sealey | Ntozake Shange
Danez Smith | David St. John* | J.C. Todd | BJ Ward | Rachel Wiley
Jenny Xie | David Young
* Academy of American Poets Chancellor
List subject to changes and additions
The 2018 Festival will feature the outstanding programming you’ve come to love:
• Poets on Poetry: Festival Poets read and discuss some of the poems and poets that have mattered to them.
• Poetry Samplers feature over two dozen poets giving brief readings introduce a wide range of the poets appearing at the Festival.
• Conversations: Intimate groups of Festival Poets discuss enduring themes, topical issues and emerging questions evoked by poetry.
• Festival Poet Readings feature a dynamic and diverse group of regional and national poets.
• Evening Main Stage Readings feature some of the most celebrated poets writing and performing today.
• Poetry and music explorations and collaborations featuring poets, musicians and dancers from a wide range of genres.
• Special events focusing on themed readings.