For the fifth time, the largest poetry event in North America comes to New Jersey’s largest city when the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival return to Newark from Thursday October 18th through Sunday October 21, 2018. For four days Newark’s vibrant downtown Arts District will be transformed into a poetry village featuring some of our most celebrated, diverse and vibrant poets and spoken word artists.
The full list of poets will be announced in April, National Poetry Month.
Here are some of the confirmed poets at this time:
Elizabeth Alexander* • Ellen Bass* • Reginald Dwayne Betts • Jericho Brown • Tina Chang • Marilyn Chin* • Sandra Cisneros • Henri Cole • Kwame Dawes* • Forrest Gander* • Linda Gregerson* • Terrance Hayes* • Juan Felipe Herrera • Brenda Hillman* • David Hinton • Marie Howe* • Khaled Mattawa* • Eileen Myles • Marilyn Nelson* • Aimee Nezhukumatathil • Gregory Orr • Alicia Ostriker* • Gregory Pardlo • Claudia Rankine* • Alberto Ríos* • Mary Ruefle • Sapphire • Nicole Sealey • Danez Smith • David St. John* • David Young • AND MORE!
The 2018 Festival will feature the outstanding programming you’ve come to love:
• Poets on Poetry: Festival Poets read and discuss some of the poems and poets that have mattered to them.
• Poetry Samplers feature over two dozen poets giving brief readings introduce a wide range of the poets appearing at the Festival.
• Conversations: Intimate groups of Festival Poets discuss enduring themes, topical issues and emerging questions evoked by poetry.
• Festival Poet Readings feature a dynamic and diverse group of regional and national poets.
• Evening Main Stage Readings feature some of the most celebrated poets writing and performing today.
• Poetry and music explorations and collaborations featuring poets, musicians and dancers from a wide range of genres.
• Special events focusing on themed readings.
* Academy of American Poets Chancellor