Temporary Full-Time Position: Poetry Festival Assistant
Overview: The Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Program, a program of the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, produces both the biennial Dodge Poetry Festival, the largest poetry event in North America, and Dodge Poetry-in-the-Schools activities for New Jersey teachers and high school students. The 2020 Festival will be held at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) in Newark, New Jersey and surrounding venues, in October 2020.
We are looking for a person to be an integral part of mounting the 2020 Festival. This temporary position will run from January 1, 2020 through November 27, 2020. We're committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply, especially those with a connection to Newark, the host city for the Dodge Poetry Festival.
Specific Duties Include: responding to inquiries about the Dodge Poetry Festival via telephone and e-mail; processing all phases of registration for Festival High School Student Day and Festival Teacher Day; assisting in developing, preparing, laying out, proofreading, copy-editing, assembling, and mailing a wide range of print documents; contributing to content of Festival website and e-mail communications; researching a wide range of bibliographical and historical data; assisting Poetry Database Specialist in updating the Poetry Festival Database; assisting in coordination and mounting of the Dodge Poetry Festival; presence and support leading up to and at the 4-day Festival in Newark, NJ.
- demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly
- ability to work independently
- ability to prioritize
- ability to identify where help is needed
- willingness to pitch in at every level of a project
- strong interpersonal skills
- proficiency in proofreading and copy-editing
- proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- experience with WordPress, Survey Monkey and MailChimp
- experience using social media professionally
- interest in contemporary poetry
- imaginative, flexible, patient, with a sense of humor
- college degree preferred (ideally in English and/or Creative Writing)
- proximity to Morristown and Newark. Valid driver’s license and car preferable.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. No benefits.
Contact: Please do not phone. Email resume, cover letter and 400-word prose writing sample by Friday, November 8, 2019 to poetryprogram(at)grdodge(dot)org